Friday 23 March 2012

Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin and the Naked Young Man Sitting by the Sea

'The naked young man sitting by the sea' (1836) by Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin; Musée du Louvre, Paris

Finally a painting that I know, even though for a long time I was under the impression that Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres was the painter. This is a very well-known painting, I think even among non-art lovers. The painter's name is Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin and he was born on March 23, 1809. It's not that strange that I thought that Ingres was the artist of this painting. Flandrin was his pupil and he adhered closely to the purity and fine lines that Ingres used in his work. Flandrin also turned to classical themes and subjects like Ingres. The only thing that distinguished Flandrin from his master were his studies of male youth, studies that were suggestively homoerotic. I decided to post this famous painting of the male nude because I wanted to post a well-known painting and I think it's truly beautiful. But I was also tempted to post a woman's portrait because I think Flandrin's women's portraits are exquisite. Actually, just like those of Ingres. They're very fine and detailed. Almost like a digital painting. See how beautiful and fine this portrait is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...