Sunday 15 January 2012

Gustav Adolph Hennig and The Reading Girl

'Reading Girl' (1828) by Gustav Adolph Hennig; Museum of Fine Arts, Leipzig


I've started using other methods to look for painters to match the days of the calendar because the search on Wikipedia and the internet wasn't satisfying enough. So I took my numerous art books from the shelf and began to look for images of nice paintings. Next step would be to go on the internet and look for the actual date of birth or death of the painter. So I came across this wonderful painting by an artist unknown to me, Gustav Adolph Hennig, born on 14 June 1797 and died on the 15th of January, 1869. The simplicity of Hennig's portrayal of a girl reading is what makes this such a strong painting. I love this! Wikipedia doesn't have an English page on the artist so I hope you read German. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...