Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentine Cameron Prinsep and The Gamekeeper's Daughter

'The Gamekeeper's Daughter' (1875) by Valentine Cameron Prinsep; Museum of Croydon, Croydon

How great is this! To find a painter for a post on Valentine's day whose first name was Valentine. I had never heard of Valentine Cameron Prinsep, born on February 14, 1838, but I am sure I will never forget him now. Not only is his name and date of birth a match for today, I even like his paintings, which is a prerequisite for me. This Indian-born artist was a member of the Pre-Raphaelite school and was intimate friends with John Everett Millais and Edward Burne-Jones. Although there were other paintings that I liked as well, I chose this one because of the colours in her clothing and face. I googled this particular painting and came across a blog on makeup. A makeup-artist talked about giving his models 'a very natural look, windburned, but not a fussy face' and referred to 'The Gamekeeper's Daughter' by Prinsep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...