Tuesday 3 April 2012

Melchior de Hondecoeter and Palace of Amsterdam with Exotic Birds

'Palace of Amsterdam with exotic birds' (1670) by Melchior de Hondecoeter; Private Collection

I think I probably wouldn't have done a post on Melchior de Hondecoeter, born c. 1636 and died on 3 April 1695, if I hadn't seen a small exhibition dedicated to him some years ago at the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam. Because seeing images of his paintings on the internet, mainly of birds, doesn't make my heart beat any faster. Having said that, in real life his paintings, often large-scale, do make an impact. I recall having stood in front of his paintings, taking in all the details and marvelling about his craftmanship. I can't remember having seen this one live, but I think on screen it's one of his lovelier ones. A peaceful scene with beautiful colours! If you want to know more about the painter, please click on the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...