Sunday 29 April 2012

'Painting and Drawing Instructing Love' by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini

'Painting and Drawing Instructing Love' (1733) by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini; Musée du Louvre, Paris

Today's artist is Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini, born on 29 April 1675, another Italian painter unknown to me. He was a Venetian decorative painter and the most noteworthy thing he has done, in my opinion (because I'm Dutch), is having decorated the ceiling in the Golden Room in the Mauritshuis, The Hague. In 1713, Pellegrini went to Germany and The Netherlands. Apparently he was looking for assignments when he was in The Hague, so he was at the right place at the right time. I tried to find an image of the mentioned ceiling on the internet but was unsuccesful. So now I have to go and see it for myself because I cannot remember having consciously admired the museum's ceiling on my previous visits. About today's painting, I think it's beautiful in colour and with this painting, Pellegrini was admitted to the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture in Paris, the most influential academy in Europe at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...