Saturday 19 May 2012

John Thomas Peele and The Song of the Shirt

'The Song of the Shirt' (1847) by John Thomas Peele; Albany Institute of History & Art, Albany

For today I chose the English painter John Thomas Peele, born on 11 April 1822 and died on 19 May 1897. I had never heard of him and I think he must have been a minor artist since he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. He was a landscape, genre and portrait painter. His genre paintings were mostly of children. For some reason I'm not really into paintings that depict children (although I really like this one by Gainsborough) and I don't particularly like the ones by Peele. But I do like today's painting and its title 'The Song of the Shirt'. I like depictions of solitary activities although the girl here is not being very active while taking a pause and staring dreamy into space. I love the details and the colours, especially the starched white of the shirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...