Friday 4 May 2012

Thomas Wilmer Dewing and Lady with a Lute

'Lady with a Lute' (1886) by Thomas Dewing; National Gallery of Art,
Washington D.C.

I had never heard of American painter Thomas Dewing, born on the 4th of May, 1851. When you google the images of his paintings, you see this lovely palette of pastels and muted darker colours. The paintings have a dream-like quality. Then I looked up his biography and it is for these elegant depictions of women, set in poetic landscapes and sparse interiors, that Dewing is best known. With painters unknown to me, I never know whether they were great painters known to a larger public, just not to me. Apparently, Dewing was one of the most important artists of the American turn-of-the-century Gilded Age. I just read on his Wikipedia page that he is best known for his Tonalist paintings, paintings that were characterised by an overall tone of coloured atmosphere and dark, neutral hues. I could have chosen many paintings for today, because I liked more than one. I chose this painting of a woman with a lute because I think it's beautiful in composition and colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...