Monday 9 January 2012

Alexander Brullov and Evdokia Bakunina

'Evdokia Bakunina' (1820) by Alexander Brullov; Tropinin Museum, Moscow

The Russian painter Alexander Pavlovich Brullov was born on November 29, 1798, and died on the 9th of January, 1877. He came from an artist's family and went with his brother Karl to Italy to study art. I had never heard of either of them. Although I was not totally impressed with Alexander's paintings, I quite like the portraits he made of women. They are actually drawings, soft coloured, and look almost like fashion sketches. I will probably do a post on the brother Karl later, because there was one painting of his that was quite stunning. It's called 'Italian morning'. I'm not going to give the link here so if you can't wait till the post comes up (in June or December, because he had his date of birth and death then), you will have to google it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...