Monday 6 February 2012

Gustav Klimt and The Kiss

'The Kiss' (1907-08) by Gustav Klimt; Österreichische Galerie Belvedere, Vienna

Most people will know Austrian Symbolist painter Gustav Klimt (July 14, 1862 - 6 February, 1918) because of his golden paintings. Probably most famous is 'The Kiss'. I have a reproduction myself. It's hanging in a big golden frame in my kitchen. It's so beautiful that I never get tired of it. The colours are stunning and I think it's magical. Klimt used gold leaf for the paintings from his 'golden phase'. His father was a gold engraver by trade so that could have had something to do with it. 'The Kiss' was already popular in Klimt's time and hasn't lost in beauty till this day.

1 comment:

  1. If ever in Vienna, a stop at the Belvedere is a MUST to see this painting. I never wanted to leave!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...