Tuesday 7 February 2012

Henry Fuseli and Silence

'Silence' (1799-1801) by Henry Fuseli; Kunsthaus, Zürich

I know a lot of great and famous painters but had never heard of Anglo-Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, born on February 7, 1741. I just read somewhere on the internet that he is in every art history textbook and that his painting The Nightmare is really famous. I decided not to use 'The Nightmare' for this post because I thought it was too eerie. In fact, most of his paintings are a bit eerie. He used the supernatural in his artwork and hardly painted from real life. The painting I chose for this post is 'Silence'. It almost looks like a drawing, but it is oil on canvas. I think it's a beautiful painting. A simple one, but a very strong image. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...