Friday 3 February 2012

Jan Steen and Woman at her Toilet

'Woman at her Toilet' (c.1661-65) by Jan Steen; Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Dutch painter Jan Steen was buried on February 3, 1679, and the moment I knew I could use him for this date, I was also a bit at a loss. Because I don't particularly like his paintings depicting chaotic household scenes. Those are the paintings that first come to mind when you think of Jan Steen. Then a friend of mine reminded me of the painting of the girl with the red stocking that is part of the collection of the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, and I had totally forgotten about that one. I like this painting. It's a depiction of an everyday act, a young woman who is putting on her red stocking. But there might be more than meets the eye. If you want an explanation on the symbolism in this painting, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...