Monday 20 August 2012

Amélie Helga Lundahl and The Garden Girl

'The Garden Girl' (1885) by Amélie Helga Lundahl;
Ateneum Art Museum, Helsinki

Today I struggled a bit to come up with a painting but then found female Finnish painter Amélie Helga Lundahl, born on 26 May 1850 and died on 20 August 1914. She attended art school in Stockholm and Helsinki and was one of the first Finnish women to study at the Académie Julien in Paris. After spending time in Bretagne in the 1870s, she had acquired a taste for the outdoors. She settled in Bretagne later and painted peasant themes. It appears that the painting that I chose for today is her most significant work and dates from her Bretagne period. I couldn't find much about the painting but if you read Finnish (or a very bad translation), then click here. I like this painting and it reminds me of the many Realist painters who depict peasant themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...