Saturday 24 March 2012

Frank Weston Benson and Still Life with Flowers

'Still life with flowers' (1922) by Frank Weston Benson; Private Collection?

When you google Frank Weston Benson's name, an American Impressionist painter, born on the 24th of March, 1862, you will find plenty of paintings that I might like. As you must know by now, I prefer portraits over landscapes and still lifes, and Benson has done some fine woman portraits. The reason that I chose this still life is that I hardly ever come across a still life with flowers that I like. So even though I like this woman's portrait very much, I think it would be nice not to post a portrait again. I like this still life with flowers because I like a simple flower arrangement like this, as well as the glass vase and ceramic saucer. This is something that you could see in my interior. But then I also like the way Benson has put this image to the paper (it's water colour on paper). I like the brightness of the painting and the way the light in the glass catches your eye. I couldn't find its location though but I have a feeling it's in private hands since it's been for sale at this gallery. Or maybe it hasn't sold yet. I wouldn't mind having it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...