Sunday 18 March 2012

Julien Dupré and Haymaking

'Haymaking' (1892) by Julien Dupré; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

You may make the same mistake as I did and confuse the painter, Julien Dupré, born on 18 March 1851, with Jules Dupré, the great French landscape painter who was a famous member of the Barbizon School. I thought they were one and the same but apparently Julien was the nephew of Jules. Anyway, I had already chosen a painting for today but it turned out that it was by Jules so I have to wait till his date of birth comes up. It wasn't difficult to choose a painting by Julien because they are many that I like. Actually, come to think of it, it wás a bit difficult because his paintings are so much alike that there is not a particular one that really stands out. Julien was a painter of peasant scenes, representing farmers at work, mostly haymaking. If you want to see more of his paintings, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...