Thursday 12 April 2012

Ferdinand Victor Léon Roybet and The Present

'The Present' (unknown date?) by Ferdinand Victor Léon Roybet; Private Collection?

It took me a long time to select a painting for today. When I came across the French painter Ferdinand Victor Léon Roybet, born on April 12, 1840, I googled his paintings and almost dismissed him. Most of the images Google shows I didn't really like, but then I saw this painting of 'The Present' and immediately liked it. It's such a lovely romantic scene. The man looks so tender at the woman and she is beautiful and happy with the gift. I couldn't find a date for the painting nor its location. I found that it had been auctioned at Sotheby's and sold for $18,000 so I guess it's in private hands. Wikipedia doesn't have a page on this painter but if you want to read about him, click on the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...