Friday 25 May 2012

Carlo Dolci and The Angel of Annunciation

'The Angel of Annunciation' (1653-55) by Carlo Dolci; Musée du Louvre, Paris

It didn't take me long to select this painting by Italian artist Carlo Dolci, born on 25 May 1616, for today because I think it's a lovely portrait with very beautiful colours. I love the red hair and the deep blue in the clothing. Dolci was the leading painter in mid-17th century Florence and skilled in portrait painting. His work is characterised by intense religiosity and sophisticated style. By the 1640s, Dolci had gained much popularity and his work was in such demand that he often repeated his compositions. After the late 1640s, his troubled personality became more evident in his work. I want to show you two more examples of his portraits that I find really beautiful. Please click here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...