Thursday 5 January 2012

'Portrait of Louis XV' by Hyacinthe Rigaud

File:LouisXV-Rigaud1.jpg
'Portrait of Louis XV (1715-74) in His Coronation Robes' (1730) by Hyacinthe Rigaud; Château de Versailles 

Today I could not find a painter whose work I liked well enough to do a post on. Wikipedia is my main source for a little bit of research and I decided to choose a historical event and an artwork to go with the historical figure. The event occurred on the 5th of January, 1757, when Louis XV survived an assassination attempt by Robert-François Damiens, the last person in France to receive the death penalty to be hanged, drawn and quartered. I've chosen this painting because of the wonderful robes. I find them deliciously outrageous. Hyacinthe Rigaud is the artist, who was most famous for his painting of the other Louis, number XIV. Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...