Saturday 31 December 2011

One year one painting a day

File:Matisse-The-Dessert-Harmony-in-Red-Henri-1908-fast.jpg
'The Dessert: Harmony in Red' (1908) by Henri Matisse, born 31 December 1869, died 3 November 1954; State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg

The idea of doing another blog is a direct result from my first blog. I want to do something more with art but not something that is time consuming. Just to post an image of a beautiful painting with some added text. Actually, I found blogs that are dealing with one painting a day but these are blogs by real artists who display their art on the net to try and sell it. I wish I could do the same but I merely have to stick to finding images of art on the internet and post them here. I've decided to use the calendar as a guideline and make this a project for one year, 365 days. Every day I will choose a painting by an artist, who was born on that day, or died, or did something noteworthy. If I can't find an artist whose work is nice enough to do a post on, I will see if there is a historical event on that date that has been depicted in a work of art. It can also be a painting of a historical figure who was born on that day or died. I'm not really interested in modern paintings and that makes it a bit easier. Think about the numerous artists who painted Napoleon Bonaparte. For me it's also a way to get to know painters that I've never heard of. It could be that I have to deviate from the mentioned principles because I don't know yet if it's difficult to find a nice or beautiful painting every day. There's one principle that has to be met at all times: Í have to like the painting that I'm posting. I hope you will like it too!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie. I was googling one of my favorite paintings by Sir Edward Poynter 'An Evening at Home' and ran across your blog. What a wonderful idea. The layout is the best I've seen and the black background makes reading so much easier on the eyes. It's fun to run across someone who shares the same taste in art. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I enjoy doing this blog immensely and am happy that some others are also liking
      it. I hope my blog will also let you discover new painters and paintings. Keep enjoying!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...