Tuesday 8 May 2012

John Seymour Lucas and The Interval

'The Interval' (1905) by John Seymour Lucas; no location found

Today I struggled again with finding a painter and painting that I like. I chose English artist John Seymour Lucas, born on 21 December 1849 and died on 8 May 1923. I couldn't find many paintings by this artist that I liked but this painting immediately stood out. Simply because of the colours and the intimate scene. Lucas was trained as a woodcarver but soon learned to paint. His father tutored him first and then he started to study at St. Martin's Lane Art School and the Royal Academy Schools. He worked for the most part in London but also travelled to Spain where he studied the techniques of the Spanish masters. I couldn't find much information on the painting shown here, not even its location. There is some mention of it being put up for auction so it is very likely that it is in private hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...