Friday 14 September 2012

Hilda Fearon and Enchantment

'Enchantment' (1914) by Hilda Fearon; Private Collection?

Today there was not much to choose from but I am happy to have found this painting by English painter Hilda Fearon, born on September 14, 1878. I couldn't find a Wikipedia page on her, nor much information elsewhere, so I guess she must have been a minor painter. Like her contemporary Dorothea Sharp, Fearon liked to paint outdoors and was drawn to Cornwall. She had some of her paintings exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1908 until her death in 1917. Today's painting is probably in private hands. I couldn't find its location but it was put up for auction at Sotheby's in Sussex in 1996. I think the light in this painting is beautiful and it's the first thing that draws you in. The depiction of a mother, presumably, reading to her children is also very sweet and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...