Tuesday 6 March 2012

Michelangelo and The Creation of Adam

'The Creation of Adam (Sistine Chapel ceiling fresco)' (c.1511) by Michelangelo; Vatican City, Rome

6 March 1475 was the day that the great artist Michelangelo was born. I cannot ignore this fact and not dedicate this post to him. Well, actually I can because it's my blog, and I would have if I hadn't liked his work. But I think the fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is amazing and I haven't even seen it with my own eyes. Of course I can only post a section of the fresco and I chose 'The Creation of Adam' because this depiction shows Michelangelo's knowledge of human anatomy very well. This expertise is also manifested in his sculpture. The Sistine Chapel ceiling fresco tells the biblical story from the Book of Genesis, and 'The Creation of Adam' depicts the moment when God breathes life into Adam. Michelangelo was one of the greatest artists of the Italian Renaissance and by many regarded as the greatest artist that ever lived. He excelled in sculpture, architecture and painting. His masterpieces ('Sistine Chapel ceiling fresco', the statue of 'David', and 'Pietà') are world famous. Apparently sculpture was his passion and he didn't like to paint. Pope Julius II requested that Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and as a reward he would get to do a commission for the Pope, sculpting 40 massive figures for his tomb. It took him over four years to paint the ceiling but anybody will agree, it was well worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...