Saturday 7 April 2012

El Greco and Lady in a Fur Wrap

'Lady in a fur wrap' (1577-80) by El Greco; Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow

I think almost everyone has heard of the painter El Greco, born in 1541 and died on April 7, 1614. He was Greek by birth and El Greco ('The Greek') was his nickname. I have seen some of his paintings in real life but I am not familiar with the one that I've chosen for this post. This painting of a lady in a fur wrap is absolutely beautiful, I think, so I had to show it to you because I think many of you have never seen this either and know El Greco only from his religious paintings. The pink colours in this painting are also very different from the colour palette El Greco is famous for. I googled this painting and found an article in the Guardian of 2004. Apparently there was some debate going on whether the 'Lady in a Fur Wrap' was by the hand of El Greco. Click here for a further analysis of this painting. There is much to tell about El Greco's life and his art in style and technique that I simply refer you to the link above. Since this painter is so much linked to Toledo and I love Spain, there is no reason why I should not visit and see more of his work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...