Monday 21 May 2012

Albrecht Dürer and Self-Portrait

'Self portrait' (1500) by Albrecht Dürer; Alte Pinakothek, Munich

German painter Albrecht Dürer, born on 21 May 1471, is amongst others well-known for his lovely depiction of a Young Hare, which I like, but I have decided to post a self-portrait instead. Dürer's early training was in drawing and woodcutting, which he continued to favour over painting throughout his career. He is known for his engravings and for his portraits, the latter mostly commissioned. I chose today's painting (this is a detail, see the full painting here) because I think it's beautiful in detail and it's amazing that this was painted in 1500. I am sort of mesmerised by the beard and the hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...