Monday 1 October 2012

Frédéric Soulacroix and The Cavalier's Kiss

'The Cavalier's Kiss' (no date found) by Frédéric Soulacroix; Private Collection


I was a little bit confused today. I had already chosen this painting by French painter Frédéric Soulacroix, born on 1 October 1858 in Rome (click on the French Wikipedia page for full details and more information, or the Dutch page), but when I tried to find the location and date of the painting, I found conflicting ownership. Some sites say that the painting was by the hand of Frédéric but there were more sources who mention that his father Charles Soulacroix, a well-known painter, was the artist. So I chose a painting right off Frédéric's English Wikipedia page to be sure of ownership (also see this site). I just read on the Dutch Wikipedia page that Frédéric's work has often been mistaken for his father's, and vice versa, on the internet. But Frédéric always signed his work with a F and his father Charles his work with a C. Anyway, Frédéric lived and worked in Italy, and had studied in Florence. He is best known for his women portraits and scenes from daily life in rich interiors, painted in the Academic style. I can't find the F in this romantic painting of a cavalier who is kissing the hand of a beautiful lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...