Wednesday 21 March 2012

Jean-Baptiste Greuze and Head of a Young Woman

'Head of a young woman (Contemplation)' (mid-1770s) by Jean-Baptiste Greuze; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Jean-Baptiste Greuze, born on 21 August 1725 and died on 21 March 1805, was a French painter. I am a bit confused about his date of death. The English Wikipedia page says 4th of March but if you click on the Dutch page, it says the 21st of March. Then I found more sites that say 21 March so I decided I could use him for this post. Greuze was most famous for his genre paintings, although when I googled his name and images, I got a lot of portraits too. Greuze explored the emotional states in the faces of women, children and men. I could have chosen another portrait because they're all fine works of art, but I was drawn to this painting in particular. I love the grey, silver colours and wonder why she is lost in comtemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...